Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Thursday Road Trip

Bob was feeling much better on Thursday and drove over from Lexington to visit. We decided to get out for a bit. The weather was beautiful except for the wind was blowing pretty hard but the sun was shining and it was in the 70's. I live about two miles off Highway 127, so we left my house and filled up with some very expensive gas, bought a lottery ticket at the little market for Saturday night since it is somewhere around one hundred, eighty million! (I could pass several hours just thinking about what I would do with that money.)



The first place we stopped was The Bread Basket. It is a very small store run by the Amish and they sell all kinds of fresh bread made daily. I bought a loaf of sourdough wheat bread to have for dinner from the young Amish girl in her white bonnet that waited on us. I could have bought one of each but I would have come home and "pigged out" since bread is one of my favorite foods.



Next, we stopped at another market just down the road about a mile and looked at all the flowers, bulk foods, and cheeses. I bought a nice tomato here and we both got a huge cone of soft serve ice cream. Their cones are $1.49 each and you make them yourself from the machine.
Bob says I really know how to pile that ice cream on the cone. He opted for chocolate but I love just plain, old vanilla.

Further on down the road, we passed a World War II army tank that is on display as you enter Harrodsburg. Everytime, I see this tank it reminds me of my son when he was a young boy. He used to beg to stop and look at it and read the names of the men from Mercer County that served during the war.



Harrodsburg is a small town but full of history. It was first explored by James and Samuel Harrod in 1767 and Fort Harrod was established in 1774 as one of the largest forts in Kentucky.

It is called the "Gateway to the West". I first visited Fort Harrod on a school trip when I was in the fifth grade. The outdoor drama, "The Legend of Daniel Boone" is performed each summer and worth your time to go see it. Another event, my son used to love when he was small. He loved seeing all the Indians and pioneer people.



We passed through Harrodsburg and stopped at a new Flea Market and Antique Mall that has opened on the outskirts of town. I love these places and can spend hours looking at all the items for sale. Bob gave out on me and went to find a place to rest. I looked at all the booths and ended up buying a book by Kentucky born writer, Robert Penn Warren. I especially love to read books by Kentucky authors. It is called "A Place to Come To" and is the story of Jed Tewksbury, born on a rundown farm in Dugton, Alabama at the end of the First World War.


Robert Penn Warren also wrote "All the Kings Men" that was made into a movie starring Sean Penn. It is a great movie. I am an avid reader and so are all my children. I think reading adds so much to one's life.


This is as far as we made it on our trip. By the time I finished looking in the flea market, Bob was tired and hungry. We stopped in Harrodsburg at McDonalds for a burger and headed back home. It was a good day! The sourdough bread was wonderful with dinner.

2 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

That sounds like my kind of day. The bread looks yummy and I would loved going through the "Flea Mall" and antique center.
I'm reading a book that I saw listed in your sidebar. 40 acres and No Mule by: Janice Holt Giles. I have two more of hers on hold at the library to check out when they come in. I love reading about people..should I call them "hill" people? I guess because, I am one of them. LOL The one you are reading now sounds interestin also. Maybe I will go check it out next.
Have a good Sunday! Clara...in TN

Anne and Leigh said...

Sounds like a wonderful day Mom! I cant wait for this weekend, so we can do those types of things together.

Love you,

Anne