Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday is Washday, Tuesday is for Ironing.



It's Monday morning and I usually change the sheets on the beds and do the wash. It seems I always have a lot of wash for some reason! This morning as I was taking the clothes out of the dryer I thought to myself that I could probably do without anything in my house before I could do without my washing machine.



I remember several years ago when my washer broke and I had to make a trip to the laundromat. I piled all the dirty clothes in my baskets and took off to the nearest one I could find. Before leaving, I went through my change jar and picked out all the dimes to use in the washers and dryers. Now, you know how long it had been since I had utilized one of these places of business! I get there and fill the washers with clothes and detergent and get out all my dimes and the thing took quarters.......... There was no attendant at this place either. So, I had to remove all the clothes, put them back in the baskets, and back into the car and go in search of quarters at the nearest bank. I was afraid to leave all my clothes with no attendant.


Finally, back to the laundromat and filled the washers again and waited for the clothes to wash and dry. By the time I got back home, I had a splitting headache bordering on a migraine and I swore never to go to one of these places again.


I love my little laundry room in my house and my nice washer and dryer.



I remember when my mother had a wash house outside our house where she kept the old wringer washer and the rinse tubs. In summer she would pull the washer out into the yard, sit the tubs on the other side of the wringer and sort and wash piles of clothing for the family.




We were always cautioned about getting too near the wringer when it was running and getting our fingers caught. Then, she would hang the newly washed items on the clothesline outside to dry. Nothing smelled better or as fresh as sheets that had been dried outside on the line. I can remember waking up in the morning to the smell of fresh sheets on my bed and lilacs outside the open window of my room. These two things always remind me of my childhood. I still have my mother's old washboard that I have seen her use many a time.



Monday was always wash day at our house and Tuesday was for ironing. I do very little ironing these days with all the wash and wear stuff on the market.


When I think back how "momma" did it, I am so grateful for the convenient appliances we have today.

2 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

Hi Judy, I love my laundry room too! I have spent maany days in a laundromat. When my children were babies, we had to haul all of our water. We lived next door to my Mother and Daddy and he had a well dug between our houses. It never produced any water and then FINALLY "city" water came through. I was never so glad to see anything in my life. I remember one time I was at the laundromat and it had been a week since I had washed any clothes. A man said to me "How many babies do you have anyway?" It must have looked like I had a dozen by the amount of clothes. And mind you, that was BEFORE disposable diapers! And people call that "The Good Ole' Days." I'm sure glad I don't have to do that NOW!

Leigh said...

I wish I loved doing laundry as much as you. :)