Monday, October 13, 2008

THE GOBLINS WILL GET YOU IF YOU DON'T WATCH OUT!!

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

My mother used to read this poem to me when I was a child. I read it to my three children on Halloween and I hope my children will read it to my grandchildren.

To all the little children: -- The happy ones; and sad ones;The sober and the silent ones; the boisterous and glad ones; The good ones -- Yes, the good ones, too; and all the lovely bad ones.


Little Orphant Annie
by
James Whitcomb Riley

Little Orphan Annie's come to my house to stay.
To wash the cups and saucers up and brush the crumbs away.
To shoo the chickens from the porch and dust the hearth and sweep,
and make the fire and bake the bread to earn her board and keep.
While all us other children, when the supper things is done,
we sit around the kitchen fire and has the mostest fun,
a listening to the witch tales that Annie tells about
and the goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out!

Once there was a little boy who wouldn't say his prayers,
and when he went to bed at night away up stairs,
his mammy heard him holler and his daddy heard him bawl,
and when they turned the covers down, he wasn't there at all!
They searched him in the attic room and cubby hole and press
and even up the chimney flu and every wheres, I guess,
but all they ever found of him was just his pants and round-abouts
and the goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out!!

Once there was a little girl who always laughed and grinned
and made fun of everyone, of all her blood and kin,
and once when there was company and old folks was there,
she mocked them and she shocked them and said, she didn't care.
And just as she turned on her heels to go and run and hide,
there was two great big black things a standing by her side.
They snatched her through the ceiling fore she knew what shes about,
and the goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out!!

When the night is dark and scary, and the moon is full
and creatures are a flying and the wind goes Whoooooooooo,
you better mind your parents and your teachers fond and dear,
and cherish them that loves ya, and dry the orphans tears
and help the poor and needy ones that cluster all about,
or the goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out!!!



JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

27 comments:

Lilly said...

Love how you have decorated your site and the sound effects are great too! We don't celebrate Halloween here in Australia like you do but I sure wish we did! Love that story and how great that it can be passed down through the generations. Oh the Monster Mash - had to stay and listen to that. What fun!

Kate said...

OOO Judy, Your site looks fantastic I love the effects and the story and and cartoons and the sound effects too - just love the whole thing !! We don't celebrate Halloween the way you do
either... would love to be a child in the States at this time - they must have a great time hehehehe... The kids here just put a sheet over their heads and hold out their hands for sweets - such a shame.. Hope TW has a fantastic time - Cheers Kate x.

Anonymous said...

Judy, you brought back some fond memories with that poem. My Daddy had memorized a great many poems as a child and had the habit of quoting them in a loud voice as he went about the house. This is one he qooted often, always looking at us children and waggling his finger when he got to the line, "The goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out!" Thanks for bringing back that memory.

And, as always, I just love the way you decorate your blog for the season. I always look forward to seeing the wonderful treats on your sidebar. You have the best sidebar in the blogosphere!

Leigh said...

I remember you reading that poem and I remember is scarying me!! heheeee

I love the new look mom!!

Leigh

clairz said...

Great look! I read so many political blogs these days that I have to admit when I saw the title of your post on my sidebar I thought the goblins that were going to get us were all those nasty rumors being bandied about!

Enough of that grownup silliness. Boo!!

Anne and Leigh said...

I remember that poem!! I also remember the goblins that used to hide in the kitchen closet at Nanny Parkers house! HAHH! Love the new look!

love you!

-Anne

Jeannie said...

It really feels like Halloween around here. How fun! I like the changes.

Thanks for sharing the poem. I have never heard of it before.

Sylvia K said...

Yes, indeed, your site offers a funny and bright spot to the morning. You do fabulous things with your blog and I love it!

Clara....in TN said...

Oh Judy, your blog brought a smile to my face this morning. I had never heard the poem before. I'm kinda glad I didn't hear it when I was small. I like the songs you have going to match your blog. Yes, we ARE a lot alike!

Sweetie said...

How well I remember little Orphan Annie. I remember my grandfather reading the comics to me. Your site looks great all decorated for Halloween. I really enjoyed my visit.
Sweetie

Natasha said...

Hi!
Little Orphan Annie.. A faaavorite! Your site is really nice! I'd like to invite you to join us at www.womenetcetera.com, a website for women who believe in embracing transitions and change and making the most of our individualities and our lives. Do check us out!

June Saville said...

Hi Judy
It was good to have you call. I absolutely understand about time restraints! I don't get around so often as I'd wish.
I absolutely love your halloween post and so will every child on the planet.
I wish you were my grandma!
The music is meandering through this home of mine in Oz - so far away.
Luv June

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy you are so talented. Here I cannot even scan a picture LOL
Enjoy your site so very much.

Rachel said...

You are all ready for Halloween!!
Great story!

Anonymous said...

Just love this, and all the funny jokes

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Loved the blog and the song The Monster Mash took me back some years, we have Halloween at the end of October which no doubt will have a poem or two. Keep up the good work.


Yvonne

Anonymous said...

My grandson will really like your story. Thanks for such interesting posts.

Grammy said...

Judy, If you can imagine, i hadn't heard the "Monster Mash" until a few years ago, but it is a fun song. The poem "Little Orphant Annie" has always been one of my favorites. We learned it when I was in school. I have memorized a lot of poems in my day. I truly love poetry.
Grammy

Kelly said...

Wow! What a wonderful and decorative post! You have really gotten me in the spirit of the holiday! There is something waiting for you on my blog!!!

Balisha said...

This was such a fun visit. I can remember my Dad reading me this poem.

Rambling Woods said...

I am visiting from Kelly's blog. I love all the Halloween decorations. It brings back fond memories of when my daughter was little and all the fun we had...Michelle..

Amber Star said...

I had never heard that poem before, but it is a good one. Love the spooky look of your blog for the season.

Jamie Dawn said...

Judy, I promise I'm on my bestest behavior!!
Please, oh PLEASE don't let the goblins get me!!!!

Cute, fun poem.

:-)

Nancy said...

My mom read that to us, too!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hi Judy thanks for reading my poem,
Yes, it is about me, it took me 7 years to get over the passing of both my mother and husband within 2 months 10 years ago, I came out of my dark tunnel and life took on a new meaning, then I met this man whilst visiting the UK, Thought he was charming but how wrong I was, I am hoping to move as soon as humanly possible, I can either return to Spain or stay here where all my grandchildren are,
I do appreciate your comment and once again thanks.

Yvonne.

Unknown said...

Judy!

Googled the Little Orphan Annie stories to cite them in response to an ongoing dialogue about people "victimized" as kids. My grandmother lovingly scared the CRAP out of me with them years ago. Anyway, thanks for the obvious love and care with which you have created this site. Couldn't leave without expressing my appreciation.

If you'd like to see what I'm up to, here's one of my recent blog posts (not the one above, which was a private conversation) on my site www.gohuman.com

http://blog.gohuman.com/index.php/business/when-will-the-buck-stop/

Would welcome you reading it and returning the favor of a comment, good or bad :)

Kindest regards!

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

I just found your site through a search for this poem. My father-in-law used to say this poem to all his grandkids. He passed away recently and I am going to print it and frame it for each of his children for Christmas. Thanks!